What does CDM 2015 do?
Complying with CDM 2015 will help ensure that no-one is harmed during the work, and that your building is safe to use and maintain while giving you good value. Effective planning will also help ensure that your work is well managed with fewer unexpected costs and problems.
What do clients need to do?
Many clients, particularly those who only occasionally have construction work done, are not experts in construction work. Although you are not expected to actively manage or supervise the work yourself, you have a big influence over the way the work is carried out. Whatever the size of your project, you decide which designer and contractor will carry out the work and how much money, time and resource is available. The decisions you make have an impact on the health, safety and welfare of workers and others affected by the work.
CDM 2015 is not about creating unnecessary and unhelpful processes and paperwork. It is about choosing the right team and helping them to work together to ensure health and safety.
As a client, you need to do the following:
- Appoint the right people at the right time
- Ensure there are arrangements in place for managing and organising the project
- Allow adequate time
- Communicate with your designer and building contractor
- Provide information to your designer and contractor
- Ensure adequate welfare facilities on site
- Ensure a construction phase plan is in place
- Keep the health and safety file
- Protecting members of the public, including your employees
- Ensure workplaces are designed correctly
For more information on CDM 2015 please contact us. Details of the Regulations can be obtained from the HSE by clicking here.